Recipe for a small pie. I made mine with a 6”foil take-out pan in my toaster oven.
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie (Freeze 1 stick butter for 15 minutes. Grate the frozen butter in a large bowl and add 1 and 1/4 cups flour. Mix until all the butter bits are coated with flour and then add 6-8 tbsp ice water until the bits of dough stick together when pinched. Separate dough in 2 mounds, wrap each in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour or freeze for 15 minutes and refrigerate for 15 minutes)
- egg wash optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine sugar and flour. Sprinkle 1/4 of it over pastry in pie plate. Heap rhubarb over this mixture. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and flour. Dot with small pieces of butter (optional). Cover with top crust.
- Place pie in toaster oven and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F, and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes. And you’re done!
*note : For step 2, I brush egg wash onto the edges of the pastry in the pie plate so the top and bottom crusts seal together. You can also trim the pastry so there is 1/4” extra around the edges. Fold the excess pastry in and flute for a beautiful crust. Remember to cut air vents on top and add egg wash.